Thursday 8 December 2011

A View from Above

I grew up on the shore of Lake Ontario, the son of James and Betty that immigrated from Scotland, Aberdeenshire. My first home was in Etobicoke, ON. where I lived until my 4th year. Tommy Mackentyre was my best friend, I remember he fell off our front porch and had to be rushed to the hospital. He came back with a cast on his right arm. Years later, I would go back to visit and see my room exactly as it was when I was 4. The same wall paper on the walls my Mom and dad put up for me, cowboys and indians. Wow. Sadly we lost touch with each other but last I heard he became a priest. Wow, talk about ying and yang. From there we moved to Oakville where I would spend the next 13 years. A life time when your young. I managed to spend 2 days in Kindergarten before we left. Oddly my stongest memory was staying one night with my Aunt while my parents set up the new home. I was crying and apparently annoyed the hell out of my Aunt enough for her to come in and tell me to be quiet and go to bed. It took me years to get over the feeling she didn’t like me.
I should mention that I was born with Jaundice, extreme enough that I needed a complete blood transfusion. Apparently I almost died which may or may not be true. certainly there are a host of possible side effects that would have change life as I know it.
My next visit to the hospital was still before we moved, I had a double hernia operation. “Count down from 10, 9, 8, 7 …. I was out. But not for long, I remember waking up during the operation and I could feel them cutting, it didn’t hurt but it they moved pretty fast to put me out again. I would pull my stiches out a week before they were due to come out… back to the Drs again.
to be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment