Thursday 20 December 2012

A Winter Poem



A Winter Poem



                I stand looking at the small window at the back of the house, a candle yellow hue framed in black. 
I breathe in the freezing air and it feels like the blackness of night as well; the sting of it burning my lungs and bleeding steam as I exhaled. 

You are not there, no one is but I picture you all the same.
                I have to, or go mad in accepting I can’t bring you back.

 I lift my scarf up to cover my face; the faint tenuous fragrance still in the fibres lifts my spirit and closing my eyes I fold into the din and disappear.
                 I have to accept the madness of knowing you have disappeared too. 

They say time heals all wounds but I think it only outruns them.  Time encapsulates the memory so you can only see it as if behind a glass, preserved but no way to get through it.
                I hold my breath and picture you, I have to or it will be like you never existed.

But I see your smile, your soft amber lips and emerald eyes and I so dearly wish I could understand the wordless stories they used to tell me.  I reach out to touch you but I stop myself for if I don’t then it will only remind me you are gone.
I stand looking at the small window at the back of the house and I breathe in the freezing air letting it burn my lungs so I cannot speak.
                I have to or I will go mad with the knowledge I can never say I love you again.

RB).

No comments:

Post a Comment